Testing wave mode in Lost Sands, did not produce any game breaking bugs or lag of any sort. The game pace still feels fast even for waves mode and there were some small mechanical bugs that break the aesthetics. Here is a small list of descriptions of the bugs I found: (*note there were no game breaking bugs)
- While playing as the super villain in waves mode I was hit by a freeze beam and was starting to encapsulate in ice when I was hit again by another enemy ai, at which point the ice stopped forming and the animation switched to dazed. This kinda reminds of the death-state-bug from a previous post.
- In another event, the player died and stayed standing. The death occurred from the agent's freeze beam. No tinting or ice encapsulation happened. Another enemy ai was hit by the same freeze beam and nothing happened. Friendly fire always looks cooler.
- Keep green tint if player or ai dies while poisoned.
- Allow drinking potions in between rounds to break the cheer animation.
- There was random movement happening when being countered with a special when performing a special move. The super villain got launched in weird directions and jerky movement patterns when performing a special attack and being countered back with a special attack from enemy ai. Ie, pirate dagger vs super villain half special. Caveman half special vs super villain half special. This can be hard to reproduce.
- Blood splatter alignments from ninja stars. I noticed minor shifts happening with the blood puddle.
- Freeze ray is correctly back-blasting the player and enemy ai but from the front-facing direction would looker if it froze the player and other enemy ai on contact and pushed the (objects) / blocks of ice slowly as they are were forming in the direction of the freeze beam with a slight (y) random offset.
- Caveman death animation last frame would look cooler with more persistence.
- Small aesthetics shifts when transitioning from unarmed combat and reactions sprite sheets. Ie. cheering/taunting.
- Allow full special or half specials to insta-break crates, vases and other breakables (except projectiles).
- Change collide / trip up animations to hit / fall animation instead of launching from super villain specials animation.
- Explosion from barrels is launching player and enemy ai in opposite direction from the blast. For instance, when running past an exploding barrel the player is being sucked into the explosion instead of being launched forwards.
Playing as the super villain in Lost Sands Interior I noticed the addition of the line path in the middle of the level does make for a better mob flow in that area. That being said, there are points where this mechanic breaks. In the image above, the super villain cheering to right is the player. If the player runs to that area of the level, the enemy ai pools up in the three locations shown in the image. Right at the bottom entrance, at the bottom of the line path connection and right at the top. Otherwise it flows very smoothly and retains game-play immersion.